Sunday 8 March 2015

Running Sisters

Last year my younger sister decided she wanted to start running and with her new found fitness enthusiasm she did the right thing… she came to me and asked me to help her start running and suggested we sign up to a 5 km colour run together in May.  I believe she came to regret that decision this morning!

She has been building up her running with the help of a 0 – 5 km app that gives you instruction as you workout and builds up your running over a nine week program. This weekend she came for a visit and we had agreed we would go for a run/walk with the goal of covering the full 5 km distance with a combination of running and walking.

Up early (well for a Sunday) we got kitted up and stepped out into a sunny morning. We started with a warm-up walk before the run / walk intervals of varying lengths. I had opted for a flattish route including an out and back towards Chislehurst, as we would be taking on a longer distance than she is used to. Using the app and also me keeping an eye on my Garmin we completed the session from her plan and then continued to make up the full distance.  I must say my sister did a great job of replicating the instructions of the app with a full on American accent!

It was as the app session finished and we continued that her enthusiasm began to wain, she declared her hatred for me, accused me of not breathing and muttered incoherently in my general direction…. But she kept running during the run intervals and had a good pace both walking and running. The goal now is to keep building up the time running and get ready for the race in May, we know the distance will be fine now and hopefully along with sore muscles she has ore confidence in her abilities. 

No comments:

Post a Comment