Tuesday 17 March 2015

Return to the Club

I felt good today, gee-ed up by the good result at Parkrun on Saturday and also the nice supportive comments from friends and family, tonight would be the night I returned the Petts Wood Runners Tuesday night club runs.

I checked the website to confirm the different times / pace / distance of the groups which seem to have multiplied. Before I left I tried to work out how long it has been since I went to a club night but after trawling through my old blog posts I couldn't find the last Tuesday night run... I reverted to my running ahead log and found the last run I did on a Tuesday night was Tuesday 27th November 2012. 

Quite ridiculous to see that it has taken more than 2 years to get back to the club, I did however make a couple of beginners groups over that time. Bloody injury! Hmmmph!

So I turned up, nice and early so I'd get a parking spot and have time for the inevitable pre run nervous wee. The usual preamble of announcements and group leaders was followed by the hubbub of Lycra clad runners merging into their groups. 

Peter would be leading our group - a fine job he did too keeping us together, making sure everyone was okay and sticking to pace. It was lovely to see so many familiar faces and have a quick catch up before the run began. I spotted Karien before we set out and we both joined Group 3. The next couple of miles passed quickly as we chatted and caught up on general news.

Half way through the run we approached Summer Hill, and whilst I prefer to run in the other direction I quite contentedly trotted my way up to the far side near the Ramblers Rest. After catching our breath and ensuring all runners were up the hill we set off again, the pace feeling tough after a hill but soon settling and gradually speeding up as we approached the final mile of the run. 

5.2 miles completed in an average of 10 min/mile pace and my first run with the club in over two years was complete. 

I found Emma as she finished her run and we had a good stretch before I was heading home for a well deserved cup of tea. 







No comments:

Post a Comment