Sunday 29 September 2013

Sweet Sixteen

Sometime in the week I had sent a message to Jerry, a 14-16 mile run was required at a slow pace and an early start. He answered promptly as ever saying he was up for it and would start planning a route. A few days later a message appeared on my facebook page stating the following:

"Liz, Sunday's run involves llamas, sandpits and moaning parishioners! It will be an out and back to guarantee mileage but will be tough but gently paced. Coach Maisy has instructed me to get you on the trails with hills in prep for BHM."

The first mile was purely downhill and knowing that the route of the day would be an out and back this would not be fun on the return journey! From the advertised run, there certainly were sandpits and parishioners but no sign of the llamas, I must ask Jerry about that. But we did have copious amounts of cows and a bull all within the first few miles. Imagine my alarm when the first field we approached had a sign stating, DON'T RUN, JUST WALK - BULL. Holy Cow, this was not the sort of field I would approach alone

The field was full of cows and you could not see the Bull but who knew if he was out there. I wasn't going to risk running and setting off a stampeded so I sort of speed walk through the field, the cows scattering left and right as we passed through. There was much relief to reach the other side.

Then came the cornfield before we crossed a bridge over the M25 just near Clacket Lane Services - traffic looked pretty good considering the road works.We soon moved on from Jerry's ramblings on an IT program and we had moved onto ice cream, an ice-cream submarine and the apples from his garden, delighted I was to find I could get a fresh supply of cooking apples - an autumn of Apple Pie, Crumble, Cake, Tart and pork chops with apple sauce awaits.

There were several other runners out and about, a couple of maniacs driving on the road, one of who came speeding towards us with his car door open, shut it and gave us the thumbs up...nice one bruvva! We crossed the paths of many longer routes like the London to Brighton trail race, The Vanguard Way and the Green Sands Marathon. The route was very hilly but as advised by Coach Maisy this would all come in handy as part of my training for the Beachy Head Marathon next month.  

I have mentioned before and I will say it again, my favourite runs are those on the trails, and especially when led by my good running buddy Jerry. I feel no pressure when running with Jerry as we trot along, chatting away, laughing and conspiring, always keeping moving but walking if we must. He is full of local knowledge and routes so that every run is different and definitely a new experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment