Wednesday 19 June 2013

In the summertime when the weather is hot...

...it can feel almost impossible to run! When this happens it is wise to just take a break, drink some water and make a decision whether to carry on or not. Sadly I was doing an out and back run and the overwhelming heat seemed not to become too much until I reached the 5 mile turnaround point...doh!

I had been employing the ultra tactic of run 25 / walk 5 minutes and by the time I had reached the halfway mark all I want to do was lie down in the shade and eat an ice lolly. Neither was immediately available so I opted for some walking and sipping on my sun warmed plastic tasting water...nasty! 

On the plus side I was on the lovely Forest Way and enjoying the great surroundings and running when I could and resting when I needed to. Before long I had found a slower than usual but faster than walking pace and settled into it... until I saw something.

A distraction.... an excuse to stop again....something that looked like an extra big fat worm... A SNAKE! I took this opportunity to stop and supervise the snakes passage across the path busy with cyclists, families and walkers like a wildlife lollipop lady. He dawdled and took his time, had a near miss with a lady on a bike until she realised what I was looking at and soon enough he was safe in the bushes. I no longer had an excuse to stand around so off I trotted. 


Targeting a female runner in the distance I focussed on catching up with her rather than the heat, distance and sweat that was rolling into my eyes and stinging. I came closer and closer and then she started walking... this was my chance but before I could gain enough ground she was off again. It was another distraction but one I needed, I kept her in sight gradually gaining on her and as I reached the end of the path and my car I had just caught up. We gave the perfunctory nod/smile/grunt and I collapsed exhausted and hot against my car.

Not the greatest of runs but the scenery was nice, other users friendly and I saw a wild snake, awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment