Thursday 13 June 2013

Central Park(run) - New York Baby Yeah

During our trip to the states I knew I wouldn't be able to get in as many runs
as perhaps I should be but this one 
was important... a run in Central Park in
New York. How could I possibly forgo this opportunity, I couldn't.


Waking early on our first morning there I had got my kit out ready and got changed promptly. I had it on good authority from the hotel concierge that the park was only a few blocks away and a direct route. I turned on my Garmin and started towards Broadway... it was pretty busy so I delayed the start of the run until it cleared a little. I passed the Hersheys store where they were handing out free samples, I politely declined and they said that's okay as I was clearly working out. I crossed my fingers they would be there on the way back.

I reached the edge of the park and saw many early morning runners out despite the grey day and impending rain. There is a clearly marked run route through the park which follows the road. I started to follow this and sadly my Garmin had not yet managed to find any satellites. This left me with a little dilemma as I wasn't sure how far I had come and with only a short time in NYC we wanted to maximise all sightseeing possible today. I made a call after about half an hour to head back, at which point my Garmin decided to play ball.

As I ran I took in my surroundings, a huge and surprisingly wooded park, full of commuters and fitness enthusiasts, dog walkers and the NYPD. The other runners I found to be not very friendly, well I nodded my hello's and said good morning to most with not one response! And people think Londoners can be rude!

Perhaps one day I'll be back and running through Central Park as part of the New York marathon, who knows what the future may hold!




No comments:

Post a Comment