Saturday 5 January 2013

Safety Dance (Run)


We can dance if we want to
We can leave your friends behind

'Cause your friends don't dance and if they don't dance
Well they're no friends of mine
I say, we can go where we want to
A place where they will never find
And we can act like we come from out of this world
Leave the real one far behind
And we can dance

I woke up with the song safety dance circling my brain and before long as I prepared for my run I was singing along to myself....   

So following my preparations I headed out the door and as I was running solo this morning I thought I'd take out the ipod for a change. It was already half way through a song in shuffle mode and then the first full track to come on was... you guessed it..... Safety Dance! This had to be a sign, a sign that I should not overdo things and trial the recommended ultra marathon training technique of running and walking. making this a long but safety run.

My legs were screaming as I starting out but as the end of my first 25 minutes running they had eased up and I was happily trotting along wishing good morning to fellow runners and dog walkers along my way. Then came the 5 minute walk, it seemed off at first but I was sticking with this, I had some water, blew my nose and kept on until the time was up and entered my next 25 minutes of running. It felt great, my legs felt pretty fresh but nicely warm and I noticed my speed edging up a little, I made a conscious effort to ease down a gear and kept going. The next 3 walk breaks included a breakfast biscuit along with my water, happily munching away and washing it down. I was still a little coughy due to the lingering effects of my chest infection but other than that things were going well. 

Nearing the end of my run I saw Anne and the PWR Beginners Refreshers Group running through Petts Wood so I joined them and had a nice little catch up and some company after 2 hours of my own!

Very aware that I am behind schedule with my plan thanks to the December of Doom I was keen to get the miles in but not willing to overdo it I opted for 2hours 20mins and I will up this again next week following the same run/walk pattern for my long run. There is still some weeks to go before my first ultra as a solo runner and I am sure I will be ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment