Thursday 12 July 2012

Three times a charm

My other hobby...
When I signed up again to run the Thunder Run 24hour challenge I decided this year I would tailor my training carefully and ensure that one aspect that needed to be included would be multiple laps in one day. So far this is not something I have really managed. I won't bore my readers with the reasons or indeed excuses but know that today I bucked the trend and carefully broke my day up with 3 runs (interspersed with approx. 3.5 hour breaks).
Lap 1: My back was sore but the sun was bright even if the ground was soft and muddy. the route I chose that I falt most replicated one I would be running in a few short weeks time was around Scadbury Park Nature reserve. Including getting there from my front door it is a lap of 3.5miles. A good distance I felt for my planned multi running. This first lap was pre breakfast but alraedy very warm and I was soon flushed and sweating as I nodded to early morning dog walkers and tried to escape school kids causing mischief to remain unscathed by their smart comments - maybe it was too early for shoing off?!

Lap 2: This one immediately felt easier, the ground had firmed up somewhat since the first lap and they paths were quiet as now everyone was at work or school. I pounded the trails and enjoyed the sun as it broke through the leaves but the sahde was more welcommed after a longer exposed stretch under the bright sun. I arrived back having knocked around 2 mins off my first lap time and a bit more satisfied with my off-road efforts.

Lap 3: The final of my planned laps and with 7 miles already in the bank I felt as though I should be feeling a little more wearly than I was. Again I set off strong knowing that this would be an improvement on Lap 1 and maybe even lap 2 but less than a mile in it is easy to be so ambitious. Towards my final mile the rain started to gently fall cooling me off a little in the humid conditions. I reached home a little faster than 2 and made it indoors just before the heavens opened. All good runs but my back was started to feel off again... let's hope I haven't made it worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment