Saturday 12 May 2012

Mob Match... more like No Match!

Bromley results for event #142. Your time was 24:17 (not a P but not far off!)

Awake early and arriving early for Bromley Parkrun was quite a change for me, usually I decide to run at about 8:30am then leap in the car and hot foot it down to Parkrun, making it to the start line just in the nick of time. But not this week, this week I was early and I even had time for a little warm up.
I was a little tentative as we lined up at the start line of Bromley Parkrun ready for the mob match against Beckenham... looking around at the club vests you could see that we outnumbered Beckenham but I had no idea until later that we did this 2:1, strength in numbers! I had decided to get my Nike Free's on for the first time in a competitive environment but it was also still only my 4th run since the marathon and I wasn't sure just how competitive my legs would be. It turned out they were pretty competitive in the end. Just before the start, a huge bellow erupted from Mark B (Mens club captain) giving encouragement to all PWR's and then we were off!
It was so great to see so many turn out for the club, with 60 runners we were definitely a force to be reckoned with. The weather was favourable, cool but with sun shining through and the ground firm enough despite the rain during the week. It was all to play for. Strangely I didn’t really see many of the opposition during my run but just lots of PWRs, myself and Laura fairly evening matched used each other well during the race to keep pushing each other on which was great encouragement and Laura even got a PB along with 24 other PWR’s.
Afterwards, everyone hung around to cheer in the rest of the runners, drink tea and eat the homemade cakes (now infamous at this Parkrun event). We awaited the results and shook hands with the other runners. What a great day to be part of the club!

And in case you were wondering….. Beckenham 29 runners, Petts Wood 60 runners. Scoring aggregate = Beckenham 2,690;  Petts Wood 1,729 (first 29 from each team to count for aggregate score - lowest aggregate score wins)
Petts Wood WIN by 961 points




1 comment:

  1. It was a great morning mob match that day! Makes you feel good to be part of a great club!

    ReplyDelete