Monday 23 April 2012

VLM 2012 - the aftermath

So after the party's the after party... and the marathon was no different, except for my party mostly consisted of burgers on a train! We finished, we hugged each other and patted each other on the back, ate cake and drank recovery drinks. Then people started to drift off, heading home or to the pub for a few celebratory drinks. After starting the walk to the station it began to rain and then snow and then rain again... after the sunburn I had suffered during the race this was a bit of a surprise but glad I made it over the line dry!
My wounded toe! 
We reached the gate to exit the marathon arena and as if my magic three rickshaws rode up... hmm this was too good to pass up. How much to Victoria please we asked the stout looking man, £10 was his reply and possibly the best money spent all day. I sat my weary self down as he worked away at the pedals gliding us ever closer to home, my toes by this point had started to smart and I was worried what I might find in my shoe when it was finally removed.
Once at the station - and quite relieved we hadn't walked as it was a little further than anticipated - I made a beeline for McDonald's and ordered up a big mac meal, made large, with chicken strips on the side - yum! We got to the train and sat happily scoffing our faces while we waited for departure. Soon a couple got on the train and much to my surprise it was the chief exec of my company.... how delightful I must have looked with a salty residue around my brow and Mac sauce dripping from my chin!
We hopped on the bus from the station and I could see some of the other passengers scowl at me as I took up a priority seat (I needed it) but then they spotted my medal and I could hear them talking about how my legs must be sore... they were right!
Freezing cold bath with bubbles!
Next action was to have a cold bath... more dreaded than the marathon and possibly more painful. As I prepared myself I had to peel the socks from my painful toe...a large blood blister had replaced the end and made my toe almost double in size on the end...gross... it needed to be popped and it wasn't going to be pretty! Meanwhile hubby ran me a bath, filling with bubbles so it looked more inviting than a regular ice bath and encourage me to get in. After much deliberation and faffing around I lowered myself into the bath, supporting my weight with my arms so I will only dipping myself in. I could take it no long, my arms were now weak too and I had to let go and be submerged! 16 minutes later I was out again, brrrrrr! Lets hope it worked!
With a nice cuppa, plenty of fluids and an unrelenting heavy cat forcibly trying to sit on my lap despite many attempts to move him from my tender muscles I relaxed in front of the TV for a while.
Slightly re-energised and not yet ready for sleep we popped out to the pub to meet fellow marathon runner Birdie to have a celebratory bevvy and wax lyrical about the day. When we reached home again, despite my protestations of not being tired I was asleep as soon as my head hit the pillow and very glad that I had a massage booked in, my legs will certainly need it!

No comments:

Post a Comment