Wednesday 8 February 2012

Pacing makes perfect

Pacing is quite a tricky business for many, I know that when I started running my pacing was not great - well If I was looking for consistency it was terrible. Then before long I had succumbed to the pull of a Garmin and my pacing got better and better. Now I am pretty good with or without the Garmin (not that I would be without it by choice you understand).
Once again on the treadmill this morning (it was -3.5 last night, I just couldn’t brave it) I had no need for the Garmin but the machine does the work for you in terms of pacing. The last of the snow and ice seem to have rendered the gym a little quiet but the hardcore were still out in force and for many the snow excuses was melting like a snowman. My hips and legs seem to have finally recovered from the brutality of the Spartacus circuit with a personal trainer on Saturday. I started off with a mile warm up to make sure I was up to it, then 3 miles at target marathon pace and another mile cool down. On the treadmills either side of me, people came and went, often as they do trying to catch a glimpse of what I was up to!
Pacing is of particular importance for marathon running, my first marathon (Brighton 2010) all my splits were within 9:20 - 9:50 with bad or overtly tough miles, I didn’t hit the wall, I was steady and consistent and I finished delighted with myself – I finished ready to sign up for another, which to me means a very good racing experience. I want the same again this year in London so it is a key part of the training to practise my goal pace. Thankfully all the speed work and track sessions seem to be paying off and my target pace is feeling pretty comfortable, let’s hope its like that on the day.

1 comment:

  1. You are so sensible to get pace training in Liz, you will have noticed in recent weeks when I turn up at the track I potter around happily plodding out consistent pacing. It is really good to start listening to the body, feel the various effort required and after a while you can naturally do it. Another technique is to run freely for 5 miles and then from miles 6 to 10 try pacing so you know what it feels like when you are a little fatigued...keep it going, onwards and upwards

    ReplyDelete