Sunday 29 January 2012

The long....


On Saturday, after a couple of days advised rest (well spinning and walking) I set off out for my long run. As I had plans for Saturday night and quite conveniently so did Emma G we decided to do our long run together. The deal was I would drive to Emma's house and she would plan the route - my long routes tend to be pretty boring - mostly out and backs so I don't get lost!
It was very cold and there was some drizzle in the air, so layered up we set off towards Keston Ponds, my watch was failing to pick up the signals for almost the first mile and I was soon way to warm and my jacket ended around my waist. Before long we passed a group of runners who looked mostly like non-runners in that they were all layered up in heavy jogging bottoms and hoodies, we waxed lyrical about the changes that occur in clothing as runners become more confident.
Coming up to 10 miles we passed through Norman Park (around 9:40am) and as we ran down the finishing straight a few people began to clap us and say well done, and so they should after nearly 10 miles. At this point we were still both feeling pretty fresh, our pacing was good, the route had been pretty friendly with only a few small inclines we were running well and didn't feel like we had covered the distance claimed by our garmins. Another mile down the road we bumped into Rob B who was at about 13.5 miles and feeling it, we had a brief hello and then set off up the hill from Bromley Common up to Locksbottom. Now dangerously close to Emma's but still a couple of miles away from our target distance we realised we had to detour, we needed to add on a small out and back, we opted for up first - this is when our legs were feeling the distance - and then down and back to Emma's. Arriving back we stretched and said hello to Rowdy (Emma's dog) before I departed to finish my chores. There was a beautiful blue sky and it was only 10.30am, what a way to start the day.
Maybe easy isn't the right word because it was a long run after all, but when a long run feels like this it makes me feel very happy and confidetn and what is to come. I think Emma is a great running buddy as we are so well matched for pace on these long runs, I look forward to many more together in our preparations for London.

1 comment:

  1. It is great to see everyone is getting the long runs in now and to see such improvements even to say things like "...we set off towards Keston Ponds..." is a big thing that would not have even been considered a few years ago.
    You are doing brilliantly at the moment Liz and great news you have company on the long runs that can be so demoralising.

    ReplyDelete