Monday 12 December 2011

Maidstone Turkey Run 2011 - Simple Pleasures

Have you missed me? For almost 3 weeks I have barely been able to run, thanks to a variety of symptoms that have been hitting hard and fast and with a slight overlap which has prevented me from doing anything other than grumble about not running.
Yesterday was the annual Maidstone Turkey Run, a 6.5 mile race on country roads and through muddy fields and tracks. I was my first real attempt to run following my multi-sickness and as I lined up at the start in a light December drizzle I was sure I had made a mistake and should be tucked up in bed 'recovering' so I didn't make myself worse again. The event was packed with PWRs as this was the last Grand Prix event of the year, so with over 20 of us running I found a very friendly welcome when I arrived.
The race started and so did I, I decided to get round was enough for me and after tales of knee deep mud I was sure I may be able to walk a little at least without too much shame. The first few miles I found a struggle as I seemed unable to find my pace, I tried to keep my self going by following a man whom I shall name 'cake-head' (quite simply he had a Christmas Cake Hat on). As time passed he pulled away from me, I though I could catch him as I upped my pace and overtook a reindeer with his head tucked under his arm.
Now around 4 miles in I was on a very tricky, slippery, mud and slime laden path so following the lead of a lady in front I scrambled around the edges through some thickets. At the end of the trouble area we fell into pace with one another and started chatting, Lorna - my new found friend - it seems runs this race with her sister each year and usually beats her but was suffering a hangover and the leftovers of a cold like myself. We stuck together and our pace picked up gradually. As we approached the finish - both flagging - we bolstered each other on and begin to pick off those in front of us one by one managing a decent pace for the last half mile and crossing the line together... and a few people behind Lorna's sister.
I crossed the line much happier than the at the start, simply pleased to have run, pleased to have finished, pleased to have found a nice new running pal and then later, pleased to have won a prize in the post-race Christmas raffle! Good times!


No comments:

Post a Comment