Thursday 29 December 2011

The final countdown...

... that's right I am a mere 8.3 miles away from achieving my goal of running 1000 miles during 2011.
There was a time when such a goal would be an outlandish and crazy thought for one such as myself, to even start running was achievement enough for me. This year as the miles clocked up I knew it was possible, I entered November well ahead of schedule and if I continued as planned I would reach the magical (maybe to me only ) number well ahead of the end of the year.
Then disaster struck, I got a cold, followed by a virus, then a nasty cough and lost my voice.... the days were slipping away and with them my chance of reaching my goal. I soldiered on trying to stay positive and hoping somehow 3 weeks off would give me a boost rather than set me back. I have been running steadily for nearly two weeks now and although my fitness has suffered the miles are slowly creeping towards the 1,000 mark. On Tuesday I tagged some distance to the start and finish of the club run and now I am left with 8.3miles with today, tomorrow and Saturday to complete. It can be done, I know it can.
Tonight I will be joining others from PWR for the first week of track training to get us prepped for our 2012 running challenges, the Spring marathon for many of us. With warm up and reps the overall distance covered has been advertised at about 6-7miles... it will take me within spitting distance... will it be tonight with two days to spare? We shall see soon enough.

2 comments:

  1. It's getting exciting Liz, I too have just hit my annual target and it is a good feeling. I have a feeling it will be a doddle for you now :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations to you Jerry, it is truly amazing what you are capable of.

    ReplyDelete