Saturday 31 December 2011

And I would run 1,000 miles and I would run 1,000 more

Today nothing else mattered, I had 2.5 miles left to run and that is what I would be doing, but I would not be doing this alone. This was too big for me to start celebrating in the street alone and jumping up and down whooping with joy while passers by shielded their children from me and averted their gaze - I needed companions and I knew exactly where to find them.
Today is New Years Eve and in anticipation of some hangovers tomorrow the weekend long run had been moved to this morning, with a shorter, and later run planned for tomorrow. 
I arrived at the meeting point early, keen and with a tin of my famous family Christmas cake - made by few but loved by many! There were six others running today, I couldn't keep my eyes off my Garmin as the distance gradually added up, I was getting close and before we knew it I was there, 1,000 miles! There was no fanfare but my fellow runners congratulated me, James gave me a good pat on the back and as is the way we continued along our route. James said I didn't have to work hard now because anything else was just for enjoyment! It came at the right time as we had reached the woods and went for a lovely jaunt (me lagging slightly behind) through woods and trails, through High Elms Golf Course. As we reached more built up areas I saw the unmistakable gait of a fellow PWR runner Dave B and immediately I felt it necessary to stop him to tell him of my 1,000 miles achievement, he hugged me and wished me well for the New Year and we were off again!

We returned to our meeting point, by which stage I was once again full of beans and soon Christmas cake as well. The rumour was out and I was joined by another  PWR, not running that morning but keen to share the joy of my achievement (and more likely the cake).
Next stop was Emma's where we had a cuppa, delighted in my mileage once again and ate the remaining cake. Her very sweet daughter also rewarded me with a lovely painting she had done by way of congratulations too!
Now I am home, not yet deflated and running a bath in which to soak off the 11 miles that took me comfortably over the 1,000 mile threshold this morning. A great run with great company and a great end to my year of running! 



No comments:

Post a Comment