Sunday 20 November 2011

Fog and Chips in Brighton

I signed up to this race so long ago that I got number 60... uh oh.... luckily I was not confused with an elite athlete! 
As I departed my friends place I was immediately submerged in rolling fog making it difficult to see the road ahead, it continued like this on and off for the journey through to Brighton. A near miss was had when a car nearly pulled out in front of me but luckily my brum was lit up and he spotted me in time. 
I arrived early and got a great parking spot just a short walk from the start line. After a few toilet breaks and a catch up with a variety of PWR's I made my way optimistically to the 50min point. Last year I has got my PB on this course and have since beaten it during the summer. I wasn't feeling race ready today, my body was just in a world of its own and not a super fit and fast world.
The first mile went well with a good fast pace and feeling comfortable, due to the hairpins on the course I was able to see lots of PWRs so I offered my encouragement with shouts and clapping as the speedy ones passed me by. By the halfway point my pace was dropping ever so slightly. By the time I got to around 5 miles I started to feel quite queasy and despite trying to dig deep my pace had begun to slow. Doing some quick maths I knew I would be hard pushed to break 50mins but I did what I could and came in at 50:26 so despite everything a pretty good performance and a third 10k at this sort of pace does signal a sort of consistency now rather than a fluke! Lets hope I can continue like this. 
After the race we reconvened and went down onto Brighton pier for fish, chips and mushy peas, well deserved although probably more calories than we burned!

No comments:

Post a Comment