Sunday 9 October 2011

Guest Blogger: Woody the Gorilla @ Petts Wood 10k

Today's blog features a special guest blogger in the form of Petts Wood Runners mascot, Woody the Gorilla!
An early start this morning for me out with the marshal's at the Petts Wood annual 10k race, I dragged myself from my tree and made my way down to Race HQ in Willet Rec. A pretty warm day for October and a little hotter than I like, generally I prefer the shade of the trees in Petts Wood and Jubilee Park.
The families and kids were very friendly, I was slightly hurt that some children seemed terrified of my appearance but luckily most of them seemed to love me and enjoyed lots of cuddles, tickles and running around.
After the main race started I headed over to watch the young 'uns line up for the kids races - the first year to do this and was lucky enough to get a cuddle from Children's race Director Emma. I handed out the chocolate medals to all the finishers and those kids were quick so lets hope we see them in the future as new additions to Petts Wood Runners.
Soon the runners started coming through the finish line where I was on hand to share out my banana's, I must admit I ate a few as I went along but this is only to be expected, I am a gorilla after all!
One little girl in a spotty jumper kept coming over to cuddle me which was very sweet so I shared a banana with her too. A group of runners I recall from previous years came over for their traditional photo with me - I look forward to seeing them every year! 
Looking forward to next years race already, what a great day out - normally I am quite shy - but for the Petts Wood 10k I will always make an exception!

No comments:

Post a Comment